Transport Planner / Consultant
RemoteUK, England, United KingdomTransport
Location: Remote first, flexible working arrangements, with all UK based locations considered. Our flexible office collaboration spaces, for those wishing to use them, are in London and Exeter, with a future potential to emerge in Bristol and other UK locations
Term: Permanent, Full Time (40 hours per week, or by agreement)
Salary: Competitive, dependent on knowledge, experience and skills
Close: 9am, Tuesday 5th December 2023
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applicants that (now or in the future) require sponsorship for an employment visa. Any application requiring a visa (without clear clarification) will not be considered.
We are also only accepting direct applications - no recruiters please.
We are open to a variety of applicants for this role, however we are seeking candidates with some transport planning experience. Although this is a consultancy role, we aim to provide extensive flexibility, enjoyment and fulfilment to our roles, to support the growth of our team members and our organisation. We strive to deliver impact from our work, to support delivering decarbonisation insights to decision makers.
Simon Lusby (Chartered Transport Planner) - Managing Director & Head of Consulting
City Science is an SME founded in 2015 with a core mission of delivering decarbonisation. We help organisations who are committed to decarbonisation achieve meaningful and quantifiable carbon reductions quickly and efficiently.
We work collaboratively across our consultancy team made up of transport, energy, sustainability, carbon accounting and applied data science specialists to provide integrated solutions to our clients. Our range of clients is extensive and includes forward-thinking local authorities like Oxfordshire County Council, sub-national transport bodies like England’s Economic Heartland and national transport organisations like National Highways (see our full list of projects here).
Our consultancy team works closely with our software and product development team who produce innovative and uniquely insightful digital tools, like Cadence and our decarbonisation tool, to successfully deliver our projects.
We have a series of emerging services lines (which are all underpinned by market areas), including the following focused within transport (the first four being your likely focus):
- Sustainable Transport (e.g. Local cycle & walking infrastructure plans (LCWIPs), bus service planning and movement strategies)
- Net Zero Development (e.g. Transport evidence bases for Local Plans and infrastructure strategies)
- Net Zero Transport (e.g. Electric Vehicle charging strategies and net zero transport pathways)
- Transport Modelling (e.g. Strategic, freight, micro-simulation and active travel modelling)
City Science has a close-knit structure of people of diverse backgrounds, all with a shared purpose of ensuring we leave behind a better world. We provide an environment where people feel valued and supported in their career progression including providing significant opportunities to work across a wide variety of exciting projects in our consultancy business.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Due to recent significant growth and strategic project wins, we are currently recruiting for a Transport Consultant to join our team. We are seeking a unique individual who understands the need to do things differently and shares our passion for decarbonisation.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to support a wider project team supporting projects and potentially manage the delivery of smaller projects. Key responsibilities will include contributing to technical reports (as required), supporting stakeholder engagement, and conducting data analysis tasks. You will also work with our wider consultancy team, including the opportunity to work across a variety of projects spanning transport, energy, sustainability, and carbon accounting; should you wish.
There is also an opportunity to support the management team in upscaling the business such as streamlining our day-to-day processes to improve our efficiency; such as improving our collaborative business functions (e.g. reporting templates) and providing input to enhance our digital tools like Cadence: https://cadence360.cityscience.com/.
We will also provide the opportunity to attend and present at key industry wide transport and decarbonisation-focused national conferences.
- Contributing to small or medium sized projects, with strategic support provided
- Responsibility for own tasks
- Responsible for producing high quality inputs for technical reports for clients
- Supporting stakeholder engagement during projects such as workshops
- Undertaking data analysis as required (e.g. future transport forecasting, survey data analysis)
- Embedding industry-wide best practice and policy documents related to transport and decarbonisation
- Contributing to graphics and visualisations, such as in GIS and Cadence
- Coordinating site visits (relevant to a project) to observe transport networks and wider conditions
- Contributing to marketing and thought-piece content (as required) such as blogs and conference material
- Sharing best-practice and specialist knowledge with the wider-team
- Contributing to the delivery of high quality bids and proposals, led by senior team members
You’re ambitious, proactive and customer-focused with exceptional attention to detail and the needs of our clients. You have a rigorous, disciplined approach and a knowledge of sustainable transport policy and planning. You have experience working within sustainable transport and spatial planning, comfortable working with and technical elements of transport projects. You’re a great collaborator, committed to success of the team with the flexibility to intelligently adapt your style to the task in hand. Most importantly, you’ve got the drive, ambition, hunger and work ethic to succeed in this fast-moving role.
City Science is a growth-focused organisation with an expanding team and so an entrepreneurial, resilient and tenacious mindset are critical.
- Appropriate industry / professional experience in a similar role relating to strategic transport planning or decarbonisation
- Passionate about transport and decarbonisation
- Degree qualified or equivalent, ideally in a social science degree like Geography or in Mathematics or Science but all degrees considered (Minimum of 2:1 or equivalent)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to facilitate and contribute to stakeholder engagement, such as workshops
- Strong team player
- Excellent report writing skills
- Self-motivated with an ability to take responsibility for own tasks
- Good time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, including a track record of delivering tasks to time and budget constraints
- Some experience of providing input to tenders and proposals
- An MSc or post-degree qualification in a transport or sustainability related field
- Project management experience
- Data analysis skills using one or more packages (e.g. Python, GIS)
- A working knowledge of developing concept active travel schemes or active travel networks in accordance with relevant standards (e.g. LTN 1/20)
- Broader industry awareness such as being a member of a relevant industry body (e.g. CIHT, TPS) and / or having achieved professional chartership (e.g. CTPP, CEng)
We are building a team who are motivated by collaboration with the desire to solve problems for our customers. We want people to own their field of responsibility, take decisions, be pro-active and have pride in everything they do. Our team of experts includes prize-winning consultants, experienced technologists and distinguished academics.
Rewards & Benefits
- Opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects across the consultancy business
- Opportunity for career progression
- Ongoing mentoring, training and support from senior professionals within the business (including towards professional chartership)
- Paid membership of a maximum of two institutions
- Flexible working arrangements
- 25 days annual leave entitlement
- Membership of our group pension scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program
We are only accepting direct applications - no recruiters please.
Unfortunately City Science does not hold a license to sponsor visas. Therefore, we are unfortunately not able to process any applications that require sponsorship.