Transport Modeller (Principal or Senior)
RemoteSouth East England or Exeter, Devon, England, United KingdomTransport
Location: Remote first, flexible working arrangements, with all UK based locations considered. Our flexible office collaboration spaces, for those wishing to use them, are in London and Exeter, with a future potential to emerge in Bristol and other UK locations
Term: Permanent, Full Time (40 hours per week, or by agreement)
Salary: Competitive, dependent on knowledge, experience and skills
Grade: Principal or Senior
Close: 9am, Thursday 30th November 2023
As well as developing and advising on strategic highways (SATURN) and public transport (EMME) models, our team are researching and developing bespoke active and freight models, as well as researching cutting-edge automation, to realign the modelling industry. Our goal is to get insights to decision makers sooner, including through our Cadence 360 modelling interface. This means we are looking for forward-thinkers in this field. So, if you are looking for a conventional transport modelling role, I suggest looking elsewhere.
Ability to also support sustainable transport strategies and decarbonisation pathways is a plus.
Simon Lusby (Chartered Transport Planner) - Managing Director & Head of Consulting
City Science is an SME founded in 2015 with a core mission of delivering decarbonisation. We help organisations who are committed to decarbonisation achieve meaningful and quantifiable carbon reductions quickly and efficiently.
We work collaboratively across our consultancy team made up of transport, energy, sustainability, carbon accounting and applied data science specialists to provide integrated solutions to our clients. Our range of clients is extensive and includes forward-thinking local authorities like Oxfordshire County Council, sub-national transport bodies like England’s Economic Heartland and national transport organisations like National Highways (see our full list of projects here).
Our consultancy team works closely with our software and product development team who produce innovative and uniquely insightful digital tools, like Cadence and our decarbonisation tool, to successfully deliver our projects.
We have a series of emerging services lines, including the following focused within transport (the first four being your likely focus):
- Transport Modelling (e.g. Strategic, freight, micro-simulation and active travel modelling)
- Sustainable Transport (e.g. Local cycle & walking infrastructure plans (LCWIPs), bus service planning and movement strategies)
- Net Zero Development (e.g. Transport evidence bases for Local Plans and infrastructure strategies)
- Net Zero Transport (e.g. Electric Vehicle charging strategies and net zero transport pathways)
City Science has a close-knit structure of people of diverse backgrounds, all with a shared purpose of ensuring we leave behind a better world. We provide an environment where people feel valued and supported in their career progression including providing significant opportunities to work across a wide variety of exciting projects in our consultancy business.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Transport Modeller. We are seeking a unique individual - fluent and experienced in practical transport modelling techniques and sharing our passion for data, technology, IoT and mathematics. The successful candidate will source and lead client assignments, whilst working closely with the transport data science and development teams to automate process and design new insights and methodologies.
An expert in your own right, you will also be at ease working collaboratively with team members including data scientists, energy consultants and developers. You will help shape the journey in a non-hierarchical environment where you have the platform to directly impact direction, quality, success and perception in the marketplace.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing and technically overseeing transport modelling, forecasting, coding and technical advisory
- Project management (delivering small and medium sized projects in the relevant technical area to quality standards, on time and within budget)
- Providing technical oversight and analysis on a range of transport projects (including and in addition to transport modelling
- Undertaking technical research and prototyping to test and automate transport modelling (and other) processes
- Providing clear, strategic advice based on data and technical expertise, including GIS analysis
- Producing high quality reports for clients, including technical and financial proposals
- Providing client outreach, including direct, at conferences and on webinars
You’re proactive, enthusiastic with the ability to multi-task and focus on the detail, without losing sight of the bigger picture. You’ll be able to work under pressure, to tight deadlines and be able to adapt in response to a fluctuating workload. Overall, you’ll be committed to the success of the project, and a great team player.
- Experience in using one or more relevant strategic transport planning software packages (e.g. SATURN, EMME (or others))
- Degree/higher level qualification ideally in Transport Planning, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Operational Research or equivalent
- Experience in conventional strategic transport modelling and forecasting of travel demand and supply
- Good knowledge and familiarity with key guidance documents (e.g. WebTAG)
- An interest in being at the cutting edge of developments in transport modelling and appraisal
- Experience with Geospatial Mapping software
- Experience in bespoke transport modelling (e.g. active travel or freight)
- An interest in software and the application of software development best-practice
- Knowledge and experience in data analysis using one or more data analysis packages( e.g. SPSS, R or Python would be advantageous)
- Membership of a chartered professional institution (e.g. CIHT)
- Commercial experience of identifying, bidding and winning tenders and clients together with working to revenue targets
- Comfortable presenting to large audiences
- Good appreciation of project risk issues and application of these to day-to-day tasks
- Knowledge of project budgetary issues and the capability to deliver work to time and budget
- Self-motivation and capability to undertake specific tasks with minimum supervision
- The ability to manage larger tasks or small/medium sized projects and proposals, including client contact and liaison
- Good technical writing capability, and the ability to produce high-quality client reports
- The ability to communicate technical and management aspects of work
We are building a team who are motivated by collaboration with the desire to solve problems for our customers. We want people to own their field of responsibility, take decisions, be proactive and have pride in everything they do. Our team of experts includes prize-winning consultants, experienced technologists and distinguished academics.
Unfortunately, at this current time, we cannot accept applications that require sponsorship for an employment visa.